TV Home Forum

Catchphrase returns

Split from Blockbusters thread (May 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
Larry the Loafer
I did like Stephen in MOM and Magic Numbers. However he sometimes has his mind in the gutter making something innocent sound very dirty! Laughing I can just see him standing there smirking at a catchphrase which has a double meaning.

I think he could be quite a good choice, if he does it well.....

And likewise if there are any Catchphrase's like 'Snake Charmer' I feel he could totally corpse it and not recover...

Wouldn't that make that better viewing? I remember him losing it on BGMT when Barry Chuckle said it was "much better if you do it yourself." Professionalism went out the window but I still find it hilarious to watch. Catchphrase is hardly a serious gameshow, although seeing what sort of seriousness they've been crapping out now, this wouldn't surprise me.

11 days later

JB
JasonB
I have to say that Stephen did a good job this evening, there were some tweaks but the game we know and love was still there. For those wondering yes, Mr Chips is alive and well!

The only thing that annoyed me was that two of the Catchphrases were a blatant plug for two of their "biggest" shows and I use that term loosely.
:-(
A former member
Good to hear. But didn't the productions team give you cards to write out comments?
DA
David
What end game did they use?
What style graphics were used? Were they "3D"?
What music was used?
How was it set out? A big screen with the two contestants on one side of it?
What were the two catchphrases that promoted other ITV1 shows?

These are the questions that need answering.
JB
JasonB
Good to hear. But didn't the productions team give you cards to write out comments?

There were no feedback cards given when we left. There were no prize VT's (apart from one prize), no opening titles, no voice over at the start. They played the theme tune which was a club type remix of the original.

I have a feeling if they're going to do a full series it may go out in the 5pm slot.

It was pretty much set out how it's been before big screen with the contestants to the right of it except we're missing the neon set.

As for the Catchphrases themselves think Krypton Factor observation round circa 1995.

I won't reveal what the those two catchphrases were in case they decide to air them.
Last edited by JasonB on 27 August 2012 8:59pm
DA
David
As for the Catchphrases themselves think Krypton Factor observation round circa 1995.

You are joking, right? Yeah, you must be. Good joke. The Krypton Factor animation was rubbish, certainly when viewed in 2012 and I think it was probably just as rubbish in 1995 too based on what was coming out of my Amiga at around the same time and earlier.

I won't reveal what the those two catchphrases were in case they decide to air them.

"The Only way is Essex" and "Downton Abbey"? I'm not sure how they would do the second one though.
BR
Brekkie
A full review here: http://www.bothersbar.co.uk/?p=6145

Looks like it's 45 minutes, £50k jackpot and begins with three contestants - seems to be destined for primetime, not daytime.
JB
JasonB
David posted:

You are joking, right? Yeah, you must be. Good joke. The Krypton Factor animation was rubbish, certainly when viewed in 2012 and I think it was probably just as rubbish in 1995 too based on what was coming out of my Amiga at around the same time and earlier.

"The Only way is Essex" and "Downton Abbey"? I'm not sure how they would do the second one though.

You're right on the first one. The other catchphrase was The X Factor.

I'm not joking about the graphics, Krypton Factor 1995 is what sprang to mind when I saw the first catchphrase!
JO
Jon
David posted:

You're right on the first one. The other catchphrase was The X Factor.

I'm not joking about the graphics, Krypton Factor 1995 is what sprang to mind when I saw the first catchphrase!

Presumably it was just a sweetener from STV to make the show seem more appealing to ITV, the fact they can use it to plug their own shows. And in this age of product placement who to say you won't get something like "Every Little Helps" included?
Last edited by Jon on 27 August 2012 11:23pm
GM
Gary McEwan
So if it does make a return, are we all ready for the Saturday night 'Celebrity' specials?
JO
Jon
So if it does make a return, are we all ready for the Saturday night 'Celebrity' specials?

All episodes are likely to be on Saturday or Sunday, given the fact it was a 45 minute slot.
BE
Ben Founding member
A pilot being 45 mins wouldn't mean a full series would run that long.

Newer posts